Let’s give our neighbors a hand. Literally.
Last weekend at Middle School Mania (which was awesome, energetic and a blast!), we Reverse Trick-or-Treated. Have you ever done that? Instead of showing up at a stranger’s front door in your Halloween costume, feeling a little too old to trick-or-treat, INSTEAD you are gifting that stranger! Imagine their surprise when you hand them a gift and thank them for being your neighbor. I love surprising people, and this is such a fun way to share God’s love and kindness with the people that live near our church.
Are you game to hand out hands?? Come to the Youth House TOMORROW, 10/29/14 from 6:00-8:30 pm.
TOMORROW NIGHT PLAN: ALL YOUTH (MIDDLE AND HIGH SCHOOL)!! 10/29/14
- 6:00 pm – Drop-off at the Youth House
- 6:10-7:30 – Serve at SCAT Food Pantry (take church vans over) at St. Matthew Lutheran on Canyon; we will be assisting families as they “shop” for groceries at the Food Pantry. We’ll get to know these vulnerable people and share God’s love with them by upholding their dignity and worth during a difficult season in their lives. We’ll talk more about it tomorrow.
- 7:30-8:30 – Reverse Trick-or-Treating and a special sweet treat for you!
- 8:30 – Pick-up at the Youth House
THIS SUNDAY: JAR ASSEMBLY AND PICK-UP PARTY! ALL YOUTH AND PARENTS NEEDED! ALL HANDS ON DECK, PLEASE!
- 11:30 am – 2:30 pm this Sunday, 11/2/14 in the Gym
- FREE Lunch included (Subway)
- Glove up, layer some jars, and let’s work together to get these gift jars ready for our fundraiser.
- WHY IS THIS IMPORTANT? The Jars Fundraiser is our highest $$ grossing fundraiser for basically only a few days of selling (Mission Market and the Sundays in Advent). We assemble the jars (homemade) so that our church family can, in turn, support youth mission and have beautiful, delicious gifts for their loves ones. It’s a win-win!
- We need to raise $1,200 from this fundraiser for the Nicaragua and California trips…let’s do it!!
- 11/2 Jar Assembly Party (all youth and parents needed!) in the Gym after 10:00 am Worship
- 11/5 HS FAMILY 6:30-8:30 (program starts at 7)
- 11/9 – 11/10 HS Confirmation Retreat to Newport, OR
- 11/11 HS Mission Trip Breakfast at Starbucks (Raleigh Hills) from 10:00 – 11:30 am [No School!]
- 11/12 MS LIFE + MS Parents’ Meeting 6:30-8:30 (program starts at 7; parents’ meeting from 8:00-8:30–about our upcoming Mission Camp to California! Sign your youth up at the meeting, if you like.)
- 11/16 (Sunday) Mission Market – all youth needed to sell Jars for our Nicaragua and California trips! Meet after 10:00 am Worship in the gym
- 11/21 – 11/23 HS CPYA Fall Retreat at Aldersgate Retreat Center (Turner, OR); if you want to go and haven’t told Laurel, turn in your form/payment ASAP!
- 11/26 – NO WEDNESDAY NIGHT ACTIVITIES (THANKSGIVING break…go home and be thankful!)
A God Moment: 3 questions and a God sighting
- Is prayer used to invite God into the room where we are? Answer: NO, because God is already present everywhere, and He was around way before we even existed. Prayer reminds us humans that God is here now, and it’s our job to look to God for guidance because God knows all.
- What is the point of prayer? Answer: God SPOKE us into existing (documented in Genesis in the Bible), and God has continued to speak to us every since. Prayer is a way for us to RESPOND to God’s words to us. If it were a football game, God’s Word to us would be the first half, we/humans would think about what God said during halftime, and then our Prayer would be spoken to God during the second half. Something like that, anyway.
- Can you be bad at praying? Answer: No way, no how, not ever! You are talking to GOD, and God created your brain, your heart and even your clutzy feet that tend to trip over stuff every day (okay, maybe just me). So God didn’t make you as a mistake–use your God-given braces-filled mouth to chat with Him, and just be honest. God is calm and is present with us in ALL of the busy-ness of our daily lives. Just talk…God will listen.
- Where did I see God this week? As I was flying into Portland at 9:30 am on Friday, I saw the most beautiful sight…a mountain, and then another one, and then another! God was up in the clouds with me and my fellow passengers as the majesty of his purple mountains stood out. God is pretty rad. I also saw God in the 5 middle school youth that went to Mania and bonded and became friends. That was really great, too.
Have a great week, wear your rainboots, and be sure and look for God in unexpected places and surprising spaces this week.