The time has come…dinner with loved ones, pie and (my favorite) cranberry sauce. Yay! Thanks for a wonderful weekend retreat at Aldersgate. (The second van returned home yesterday…yay!) We had good memories (and photos) to share the fun…and, yes, human Hungry, Hungry Hippos is happening soon! Lots of H’s in that sentence.
Speaking of H-words, how about HOPE?
Lately, we’ve had lots of sudden/sad/violent/fearful stuff in our world, and God’s answer to scary things is to have hope. Here’s what God says in the Bible about HOPE:
- Psalm 71:5-Lord, you are my hope, my trust, since my childhood.
- Hebrews 11:1-Now faith is being sure of what we hope for, being certain of what we do not see.
- Luke 2:12-And this will be a sign for you: you will see a baby wrapped in swaddling cloths and lying in a manger
- This last one is the most hopeful of all…Jesus, this perfect dude who loves you more than life and gave up his life just for you. Wow. It’s the gift that truly keeps on giving. Best. Gift. Ever.
I’ve gotta be honest, sometimes it’s hard to hold onto hope. You see bad stuff happening or you feel like crud. We can all feel lost sometimes or sorta feel like a boat floating in the middle of the ocean, without an anchor–nothing strong to hold onto. That’s where God comes in. God designed us, made us, waits for us, cares for us and holds onto us. Your relationship with God is evolving and growing (and it will your whole life!), and it’s something very special between you and Him. God = Hope. It’s a pretty safe decision to hold onto the God that made you, to find hope in Him. And praying to God for hope-help is good, too.
What’s coming up?
THE YOUTH GROUP NIGHT TO TRUMP ALL OTHER YOUTH GROUP NIGHTS – December 2
- 6:30-8:30 pm (That’s right…a little longer because we have major mission mayhem to cause!)
- Mission project (AKA shopping trip) for Salvation Army family PLUS
- Cookie fundraiser shopping prep P-L-U-S
- Decorating our ugly sweaters for the 12/19 Christmas Partay! PLUS
- Singing a few worship songs together around the piano!!
- We’ll have pizza at 6:30. Come on time for food and be ready to have fun!
- ***BRING an old sweater, t-shirt or sweatshirt (hoodies are good) that you can decorate for our Christmas party!! We will have a few extras to decorate. (Warning: This will be a Christmas explosion on a shirt!)
- Also, if you have random things to share to decorate your sweater (Christmas lights, craft pom poms, random toys or candy, etc.), please bring some to share!
CAROLING AND UGLY SWEATER CHRISTMAS PARTY! – Dec 19
- 5:30-7:00pm Valley goes Christmas caroling around the neighborhood. Meet at the YOUTH HOUSE for cider, cocoa and cookies!
- Ever wondered how to welcome more people, show God’s love? Caroling, even with our raspy, not-so-angelic voices. Join us for a really fun, new tradition!! (Choirs will help out.) Bells are provided for drowning out our voices, ha.
- 7:00-10:00pm Valley Youth – Ugly Sweater Christmas Party @ the Carlsons’
- Wear your oh-so-ugly sweater! Contest for ugliest sweater, games, mission project, food and lots of fun festivities. Bring a friend! Please RSVP to Laurel @ valleycommunity .org if you can make it!
- Parents will pick you up at their house!
Happy Thanksgiving! In the words of Paul (in the Bible), I thank my God every time I remember you! And I remember you a lot. Peace and hope!