Happy rainy Monday to you!
*Register & pay for Fall Retreat by Halloween! (details below)
As Valley Youth, we do all sorts of things year-round…
- Make friends, build community
- Help others out
- Learn about Jesus
- Grow our relationship with Jesus
All of these are VERY important, and we have to have each piece to make our youth group work. Below are some opportunities to do ALL 4 of these things!
Chili Cook-off Youth Fundraiser – Oct 30!!
- The Valley youth group hosts this awesome event! And all of the money we make goes to our year-round mission projects AND our summer mission trips!!
- The youth collect $ and give out voting tickets, wash (some) dishes, help the cookers with their chili, etc. So fun!
- Sunday, October 30 – arrive at church at 9:30 am to set up, stay until 1:00 pm
- Parents and siblings, please buy tickets and eat chili!! Come hungry. The cook-off event is after worship (11:00 am-ish).
- It is the same Sunday as Children’s Sabbath (kids lead worship), so that is a double bonus!
- If you are not able to attend the fundraiser, please contact Allison Carlson (5beavs @ comcast.net) to let her know; we have other tasks that need to be filled this week. Thanks!
All-Youth Fall Retreat, Nov 18-20!
- Our annual Fall YouthCon is coming up…please register online OR print off the brochure (give hard copies to Laurel) and send your payment to Valley Community Presbyterian Church, Attn: Laurel Cluthe.
- Middle AND High School Youth invited; friends, too!
***Please register and pay by Halloween (Oct 31).
- This weekend is fun for all ages, and it is a unique time to bond, learn about God and discover more about faith, all in a non-distracting, super-fun place at Aldersgate Retreat Center in Turner, OR! We’ll focus on science and faith this year, using hands-on experiments, plus our typical breakout sessions for middle school and high school. We’ll have activities, games, and times to just relax in nature with new and old friends. And did I mention unlimited hot chocolate? Oh, yes. Also, please check out the FAQ at the bottom…
- Brochure (click here to download)
Cascades YouthCon 2016
November 18-20, 2016
Aldesgate Camp & Retreat Center
Register by Oct. 31 = $90/person (some scholarships available…please email Laurel!)
Register after Oct. 31 = $120/person
FAQ for Valley Youth – Fall YouthCon
- What is Fall YouthCon?
It’s an annual weekend retreat (always the weekend before Thanksgiving) for youth in 6th-12th grades. All are welcome, including friends who have no clue about church.
- Cost? Scholarships?
The cost is $90/person, and that includes transportation to/from in the church vans, lodging, activities, and meals. Scholarships are available through Valley’s Youth Mission Fund. Please email me (Laurel) if your family would like to request a scholarship. Please include the amount you are requesting, too. We want to make sure ALL youth can go…please don’t let finances be your roadblock. All scholarship requests are kept between me and our Finance Manager…confidential.
- Details? Food? Sleeping?
Aldersgate Retreat Center is in Turner, OR, just outside of Salem. Our presbytery’s churches (from Vancouver, WA all the way down to the tippy top of California, and it includes churches primarily in Portland, Salem, Bend/Redmond, and the coast) get together for this event each year to provide community with other churches and to make lots of new friends. We are all trying to figure out life and God and stuff, and this is the perfect opportunity to do those things! We sleep in little A-frame cabins, with 6-12 in each cabin. Valley boys in one, Valley girls in another. There are bunk beds, heat in the cabins, and the shared bathrooms/showers are a short walk away. (Yes, there are shower curtains and bathroom stalls.) I’ll send out a packing list, but you’ll need to bring WARM clothes for the weekend, a sleeping bag/blanket/pillow, and you’ll need to pack your own toiletries with shower shoes. Pretty easy. The food is pretty good at Aldersgate, and they can cater to veggie/vegan/gluten free needs, no problem. You are more than welcome to bring snacks.
We will meet at Valley’s Youth House at 5:45 pm on Friday, November 18, pack up and get on the road by 6:15. This will be in the packing list, but you’ll need to bring a sack dinner or eat before you come. We will return to Valley by 11:30 on Sunday, Nov 20.
NO YOUTH GROUP THIS WEEK, due to the Chili Cookoff!!
Next Youth Group: Wednesday, Nov 2!